Attacks of Sleep Apnea
This information will help you find out what sleep apnea attacks are. It also describes what you need to do before and after an operation if you experience apnea of sleep.
Sleep Apnea Information
Attacks of slip apnea is a common breathing disorder. Because of him, you briefly stop breathing during sleep.
The most common type is obstructive sleep of apnea syndrome (OSA). With OSA, your airways become completely blocked during sleep. OSA can pose a severe risk of death after surgery.
Common OSA Symptoms
Let me know if you have the following symptoms. These may be signs of apnea sleep.
- Loud snoring
- Daytime sleepiness
Ensuring your safety during surgery
Attacks of sleep apnea can cause serious problems during and after surgery. We will take specific measures before, during, and after the operation to ensure your safety.
- During a preoperative study, a highly qualified nurse will ask you questions to determine if you may have apnea sleep . Questions may be:
- Do you snore loudly (louder than talking or loud enough to be heard from behind a closed door)?
- Do you often feel tired, weak, or drowsy during the day?
- Has anyone seen you stop breathing while you sleep?
- Do you have high blood pressure? Do you get treatment for high blood pressure?
- During and after the operation, we will put an exclusive clamp on your finger if we know that you may have apnea attacks in your sleep, or that you have such attacks. With this clamp, the level of oxygen in your blood will be measured. It will give an alarm if you do not get enough oxygen.
- After the operation, we will change the method of pain relief for you. Some pain medications can make sleep apnea worse. You will continue to take pain medication so that nothing bothers you or pain arises.
- We will make sure that your doctors and nurses know that you may have apnea attacks in your sleep, or that you have such attacks.
Attacks of Sleep Apnea and Your Health
Attacks of sleep apnea can cause many problems.Due to daytime sleepiness, people with sleep apnea are more at risk of an accident as a result of:
- driving a car in a sleepy state;
- falling asleep in the workplace
Snoring puts stress on your heart, lungs, and blood vessels. This may result in:
- serious heart problems;
- serious lung problems
If untreated, OSA may cause or exacerbate:
- high blood pressure;
- heart failure;
- cardiac arrhythmia.
We will do our best to ensure your safety during your stay in the hospital. We hope that you, for your part, will take the necessary steps and consult with your local health care provider about the treatment of your slep apnea attacks. We recommend asking him for a referral to a sleep medicine center. You can also contact such a center yourself. Treating slip apnea will help prevent future severe health problems.